Yield: Serves 6
- 1 bunch kale, chopped, about 4 to 6 cups chopped
- 3 medium leeks, trimmed, washed, and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds potatoes, russet or baking
- 1 cup milk, light cream, or half-and-half
Meanwhile, peel potatoes and cut into quarters; rinse well. Put potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain well and transfer to a large bowl.
Heat the kale and milk mixture until hot. Add to the drained potatoes and mash by hand or with an electric mixer until well blended.