- 4 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups chopped green onions
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimiento
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 1/2 cup plain soft bread crumbs
- 3 to 4 tablespoons butter, cut in small pieces
In a saucepan cook potatoes and onions together in lightly salted water until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain.
To make white sauce melt 5 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan. Add flour, stirring until blended. Cook, stirring, and gradually stir in milk. Add Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, pepper, paprika and pimiento. Cook, stirring, until thick. Place half of the cooked potatoes and onions in a large buttered 3-quart baking dish. Cover potatoes with half of the cheese. Spread all the ham on the cheese. Cover with remaining potatoes.
Pour the cooked seasoned white sauce over all. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Sprinkle with bread crumbs then dot with butter. Bake in preheated 350° oven until cheese is melted, about 10 to 15 minutes.
Serves 6 to 8.