- 7 to 9 medium potatoes, about 3 pounds
- 16 ounces tiny frozen peas
- 2 cups heavy cream or whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon mace or freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, optional
Cook peas in boiling salted water until just tender, and thoroughly drain.
In a large saucepan, combine potatoes, cream, and milk. Bring to a boil,
then reduce to simmer. Season with salt, pepper, and mace or nutmeg. Sprinkle in
the sugar and stir gently, being careful not to break up the potatoes.
Simmer 6 minutes. Add peas while the potatoes and sauce are still
simmering. Cook for 1 minutes. Taste for seasoning.