Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- 7 to 7 medium-sized potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds), peeled and quartered
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, approximately
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, or similar grated cheese
- 1/2 cup fine bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
Heat oven to 400°. Butter a 2- to 3-quart baking dish.
Mash the potatoes or put through a potato ricer. Add 6 tablespoons of butter, salt, and pepper, and blend well. Gradually blend in the cream until you have the desired consistency. The mixture should not be too thin.
Spoon the potatoes into the prepared baking dish. Combine the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese and toss with 1 tablespoon of melted butter. Sprinkle evenly with the bread crumb mixture. Bake until heated through and the topping is golden brown.