Top this flavorful soup with a little shredded cheese, sliced green onions, or chopped fresh parsley. This is a great soup to serve for lunch or supper along with a tossed salad and crusty bread.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 large carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 to 3 cups diced ham, about 1 pound
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 to 5 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half or whole milk, more if needed to thin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, optional
- sliced green onions, for garnish, optional
- shredded Cheddar cheese or Cheddar-Jack blend, for garnish, optional
In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onion, celery, carrots, and ham. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute longer. Add vegetable broth and water and potatoes; cover and cook for about 25 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Whisk flour into the heavy cream until smooth; stir into the hot mixture. Stir in the half-and-half or milk. Taste and add salt and pepper, as desired. Mash slightly to thicken and add more milk if needed.
Serve garnished with parsley, sliced green onions, or a little shredded cheese.
Joe's Crockpot Potato Soup
Homemade Potato Soup
Crockpot Potato Soup
Sausage and Potato Soup With Kale
Baked Potato Soup