Yield: Serves 6 to 8
- 6 thick slices bacon, diced
- 1 pot roast, lean boneless beef chuck, about 4 pounds
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 large onion, about 1 1/2 to 2 cups, chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) beer
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 3 carrots, cut in 1/2- to 1-inch pieces
- 1 small rutabaga, cut in 1/2- to 1-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, cut in 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup cold water, optional
- 3 tablespoons flour, optional
Sprinkle the roast with salt and pepper, then dip all sides in the flour to coat lightly.
Remove the bacon from the skillet and set aside. Add the beef roast and brown, turning to brown all sides. Remove the pot roast and set aside.
Add onions to the skillet and cook until browned. Add the garlic cook for 1 minute longer. Add the red wine vinegar, beer, beef broth, bay leaf, sage, and thyme; bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat.
Place the roast in the slow cooker; arrange the potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms around the roast. Top with the bacon and pour the onion and broth mixture over all.
Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours, until the roast is very tender and the vegetables can be easily pierced with a fork.
To make a gravy with the liquids, remove the roast and vegetables to a serving dish and keep warm.
Pour 3 cups of the liquids in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Simmer for about 3 to 5 minutes to reduce slightly.
Whisk 3 tablespoons of flour into 1/2 cup of cold water. Whisk the flour mixture into the simmering broth. Cook, whisking, for about 1 minute. Taste and season with salt and pepper, as needed.
Sweet and Tart Pot Roast
Apple juice, vinegar, allspice, and brown sugar are combined to make this a delicious oven pot roast. Serve this flavorful pot roast with hot cooked noodles or rice.
Pot Roast With Garlic and Thyme
This is an easy braised oven roast made with a little wine, garlic, and thyme, along with potatoes and other vegetables.
Home-Style Pot Roast With Vegetables and Gravy
This pot roast is made on the stovetop with a variety of herbs, potatoes, carrots, and other vegetables.
Pot Roast With Pinto Beans
This slow cooker pot roast is made with pinto beans and barbecue sauce. This pot roast is delicious with coleslaw and freshly baked cornbread.