Cook Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours
- 1 lean chuck roast, boneless, about 3 to 4 pounds
- grill seasoning, such as steak seasoning or similar, or salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 large fresh or dried bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried leaf rosemary, crumbled
- 2 cups frozen pearl onions or fresh peeled pearl onions
In a large Dutch oven or oven safe pot over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Sear the roast on all sides until browned, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove the roast to a plate and set aside.
Saute the bacon until almost crisp. Remove the bacon to paper towels to drain. Remove and discard all but 1 tablespoon of the drippings. Add chopped onion and celery to the drippings and cook until just softened. Add the garlic and carrots and saute for 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste, wine, and chicken broth. Put the roast and bacon back in the pot and add the bay leaves, rosemary, and pearl onions. Bring back to a simmer. Cover tightly and bake for 3 hours, turning the roast after 2 hours.
Strain juices from the roast and pour the juices into a saucepan. Cover the roast and vegetables and keep warm.
Put the saucepan with strained juices over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
Slice the roast and serve with the vegetables and juices.
More Pot Roast
Sweet and Sour Pot Roast
Tonya's Barbecued Brisket
Country Pot Roast with Gravy
Family Pot Roast with Vegetables
Oven Barbecued Beef
Yankee Pot Roast
Coffee Pot Roast
Pot Roast with Vegetables
Pot Roast with Spices
Pete's Barbecue Beef
Barbecued Pot Roast
Crockpot Beer-Braised Beef