Yield: Serves 6 to 8
- 1 boneless pork shoulder or pork butt, 3 to 4 pounds
- 1 large onion, sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Barbecue Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Creole mustard or a grainy mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and saute until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes longer. Add the ketchup, lemon juice, brown sugar, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper. To keep splatters to a minimum, cover with a splatter screen or cover loosely with a lid. Bring to a simmer and continue cooking for about 10 minutes.
Remove the roast to a large bowl or platter and shred, discarding fats and liquids. Return the shredded pork to the slow cooker with 1 cup of the barbecue sauce. Cover and cook on LOW for about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Serve the pork barbecue on split rolls with coleslaw and dill pickle slices, along with your favorite sides.
Serves 6 to 8.