Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 can (15 ounces) sold pack pumpkin
In a bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. In a mixing bowl with electric mixer, cream butter with sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Slowly beat in the dry mixture, alternating with the sour cream and pumpkin. Beat until well blended, scraping the sides of the bowl a few times.
Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean and the cake springs back when lightly touched with a finger.
Cool in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes. Invert onto a serving plate to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar or ice with an orange tinted glaze or thin icing.