- 1/2 to 3/4 pound asparagus, trimmed, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 4 green onions, with green, thinly sliced
- 1 small tomato, peeled, seeded, diced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Havarti cheese or Swiss, about 6 ounces
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half or whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- dash nutmeg
In a skillet, heat butter over medium-low heat; add mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms are tender; add green onions and cook for 1 minute longer. Set aside.
Line a 9-inch or 10-inch pie plate with pastry; bake at 375° for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 350°.
Arrange vegetables and shredded cheese in pie pastry.
Whisk together the eggs and half-and-half; add salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Pour egg mixture over the vegetables. Place the filled pie shell on a large cookie sheet or jelly-roll pan. Place in the oven and cook for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Serves 6 to 8.