- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut in small pieces
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ice-cold water
- 8 strips lean bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half or whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
On a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin, roll out dough into a circle about 11 inches in diameter. Fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate or quiche pan. Trim edges, leaving a little overhang, about 1/4-inch all around the edge. Prick dough with a fork. Line with foil and fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake quiche crust for 10 minutes at 375°.
In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, thyme, and pepper. Pour into the baked crust. Crumble bacon over the top with the shredded Cheddar cheese. Bake at 375° for about 30 minutes, or until quiche filling is set and top is lightly browned. Serve the quiche with fresh tomato wedges or a tossed salad.
Quiche serves 8.