Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 cups thinly sliced rhubarb (about 1/2-inch thickness)
- 1 pint strawberries, cleaned, hulled, and sliced and lightly mashed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoons alt
- 1 stick (4 ounces) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
Combine the rhubarb, mashed strawberries, lemon juice in a medium saucepan. Combine the 2/3 cup sugar and cornstarch and add to the fruit mixture. Bring to a simmer, stirring. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring, until thickened. Remove from heat and let cool.
Heat oven to 350°.
Combine the 1 1/2 cups flour, soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
In a large mixing bowl, beat 1 stick of butter with the 3/4 cup granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and sour cream. Beat in vanilla. Slowly beat in the flour mixture until smooth and blended. Spread in the prepared pan.
Spoon cooled filling mixture over the cake batter.
Combine the 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, 5 tablespoons melted butter, and chopped pecans, if using. Mix well and sprinkle evenly over the filling layer.
Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the cake is firm and topping is lightly browned.