- 1 cup Arborio rice or short-grain rice
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup canned or mashed pumpkin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup milk or half-and-half
- cinnamon or whipped topping and pecans for garnish, optional
Meanwhile, combine the pumpkin with vanilla, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and salt. When the rice is done, remove from heat and stir in the pumpkin mixture. Cover and refrigerate until serving time. To warm the pudding, stir in about 1/2 cup of milk or half and half and warm over medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Serve with a sprinkling of cinnamon and brown sugar, or top with a dollop of whipped cream or whipped topping and chopped pecans and chopped dried cranberries.
Serves 4 to 6.
Rice pudding is shown in Spiced Baked Mini Pumpkins
Guide's Response to User Reviews
"The recipe was updated to include a link to the baked mini pumpkins." - Diana Rattray, Your Guide to Southern Food