This chicken develops a crispy spiced skin, and it is absolutely delicious and tender all the way through. I find the built in pop-up timers sometimes pop out a little early, so I always check the thigh temperature. Roast until the thigh registers about 180° using a meat thermometer or oven probe.
Easy Baked Chicken Recipes
Roasted Chicken Recipes
Yield: Serves 6
- 1 roasting chicken, 5 to 7 pounds
- salt and pepper
- 1 lemon, cut in quarters or slices
- olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup water or chicken broth
Combine the salt, cayenne, pepper, cardamom, cumin, cinnamon, mace, and ginger.
Wash the chicken and pat dry. Place the chicken on a rack in a roasting pan then rub all over with olive oil. Rub with the spice mixture.
Pour about 1/2 cup of water or broth in the bottom of the roasting pan.
Roast, basting 2 or 3 times, for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until a meat thermometer in inserted in the thickest part of the thigh registers about 165°.
You Might Also Like