- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup finely diced cooked ham
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup of a dry red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, or Merlot
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme, crumbled
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
Blend in the flour and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, wine, thyme, and bay leaf. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching, until the sauce thickens, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Stir in parsley. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Serve with steaks or roast beef. Makes about 3 cups.