In this recipe, bow tie pasta is topped with a flavorful Italian sausage and tomato sauce.
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces bow-tie shaped pasta, or farfalle
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Remove Italian sausage from casings; brown in a large heavy skillet, breaking Italian sausage up with spatula. Remove browned Italian sausage to paper towels to drain. Drain off all but about a tablespoon of the sausage drippings; sauté onions until soft; add minced garlic and sauté for another minute. Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid. Cook tomatoes in the same skillet for about 4 minutes then add liquid. Return Italian sausage to skillet with oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Cook pasta according to package instructions until done; drain and place on serving platter. Spoon sauce over pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Toss lightly and serve.
Pasta and Italian sausage recipe serves 4.
Baked Ziti with Sausage
Italian Sausage and Meatball Spaghetti Sauce
Rigatoni With Sausage and Parmesan
Ziti and Sausage Bake