- 2 cups uncooked ziti
- 1 pound ground bulk sausage, mild or hot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf basil, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf oregano, or to taste
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces sliced Mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounces sliced Provolone cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
In a skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage, breaking up with a spatula or spoon; add minced garlic and cook 2 minutes longer. Drain.
Put cooked drained ziti in a lightly buttered 2 1/2-quart casserole. Top with half of the tomato sauce, the sliced Provolone cheese, the sour cream, and browned sausage. Sprinkle herbs and seasonings over the sausage layer. Top with the Mozzarella cheese and remaining tomato sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350° for 25 to 35 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
Serves 6 to 8.