Large Photo of the Sausage and Sauerkraut Bake
- 1 large onion, quartered and sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 4 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 pounds cold pack sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 pounds smoked sausage, such as andouille, kielbasa, or chicken apple sausage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds, or to taste, optional
In a large ovenproof saute pan or Dutch oven over medium heat, saute the onion and sliced sausages in vegetable oil until onion is golden and sausage is lightly browned, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the apples and saute for 1 minute longer. Add apple juice, vinegar, brown sugar, sauerkraut, and pepper. Add caraway seeds, if using. Cover and bake for 1 hour. Serve with crusty rolls or biscuits and a tossed salad.
Serves 8 to 10.