Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- dash allspice
- dash ground black pepper
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, coarsely chopped,
- 12 to 16 ounces chicken sausage links or other smoked sausage, sliced in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
Combine the brown sugar, garlic, salt, nutmeg, allspice, and pepper in a small bowl.
In a large oven-safe Dutch oven or large casserole, layer half of the cabbage, half of the onion, half of the apple, and half of the sausage slices. Sprinkle with half of the brown sugar and spice mixture. Repeat the layers with the remaining cabbage, onion, apple, sausage, and brown sugar mixture. Pour the apple juice and vinegar over the casserole.
Cover tightly and bake for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add more juice if needed.