- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds red-skinned potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
In a saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add the diced onion and sauté until tender; add minced garlic and parsley. Stir in flour and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk, cooking and stirring over medium-low heat until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted and sauce is smooth.
Arrange sliced potatoes in a 2 to 2 1/2-quart casserole, sprinkling layers with salt and pepper. Pour sauce evenly over potatoes. Cover dish and cook at 350° for 40 to 50 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
Serves 4 to 6.