This is a nice salmon soup to serve with a sandwich or salad for lunch, or serve it with a special dinner.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (approx. 14 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 small can (approx. 7 1/2 ounces) salmon with juices
- 1 cup half-and-half or whole milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- garnish suggestions: roasted red pepper strips, sour cream, croutons, parsley
Heat butter in a medium saucepan until melted; add onion and saute for 4 to 5 minutes, until tender. Blend in flour, stirring constantly, until well dissolved and bubbly. Add bay leaf. Gradually stir in broth. Cook, stirring, until thickened and smooth. Stir in wine and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Stir in tomato paste and salmon with juices. Process in blender until smooth then return to the saucepan. Stir in half-and-half and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish with roasted red pepper strips, croutons, parsley, or sour cream.
Hearty Cheese and Salmon Chowder
Fresh Salmon Chowder
Quick Salmon Corn Chowder
Easy Salmon and Corn Chowder