- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 2/3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 12 to 16 ounces diced fresh salmon or canned flaked salmon
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups half-and-half or whole milk
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
Add the salmon and peas; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add half-and-half or milk, along with cheese and parsley. Cook, stirring, until cheese is melted and the soup just begins to bubble. Taste and add salt and pepper.
Makes about 8 cups.