- 1 rutabaga, about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds, about 3 to 4 cups diced
- 6 carrots, peeled, about 2 cups diced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 4 to 6 medium Yukon Gold or red potatoes, about 3 to 4 cups diced
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Grating of nutmeg, or about 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup mild Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
Dice rutabaga and carrots - about 1/2-inch pieces - and slice the celery. Put the diced rutabaga and carrots and sliced celery in a large saucepan; cover with water; add about 1 teaspoon of salt to the cooking water. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes. Dice potatoes and add to the vegetables, adding more water as needed to cover. Simmer, covered, for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Drain and let vegetables cool slightly. In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Add the flour and stir until well blended. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt, the pepper, and nutmeg, then gradually stir in the milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add cheese and stir until melted. Combine sauce with vegetables; stir gently. Turn into the prepared baking dish.
Heat oven to 350°.
Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter; toss with the bread crumbs. Sprinkle crumbs over the vegetables. Bake, uncovered, for about 35 to 40 minutes, until browned and bubbly.
Serves 6 to 8.