A Spanish style chicken and rice recipe.
- 1 frying chicken, cut up (about 3 1/2 pounds chicken pieces)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup raw long-grain rice
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, optional
- 1 jar ( 4 ounces) chopped pimientos
Heat oil in a heavy skillet; brown chicken over medium heat. Remove chicken and pour off all but 2 tablespoons of oil. Add to the skillet the celery, green pepper, onion, garlic, rice, tomato sauce, water, saffron, salt, pepper, and sugar; stir well. Add the chicken pieces back to the skillet. Cover and cook over low heat for 30 to 40 minutes, until rice is done. Fluff rice with a fork, add pimiento, and heat through.
Serves 4 to 6.
More Chicken Recipes
Chicken With Herb Sauce
Chicken and Rice Skillet
Robin's Skillet Chicken
Chicken Breasts with Dill
Chicken and Zucchini With Garlic Cream Sauce
Libby's Chicken and Rice Casserole