- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds chicken pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds raw shrimp, shelled, cleaned, and deveined (about 1 pound if shells have been removed)
Wash chicken; pat dry.
Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; brown chicken slowly, turning once to brown both sides. Pour off some of the excess fat.
In a bowl combine tomato sauce, wine, onion, garlic, parsley, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper; blend well and pour over chicken. Cover and simmer for about 30 to 40 minutes, until chicken is tender.
Add shrimp to the sauce and cook for another 10 minutes, or until shrimp are cooked through.
Serve as a stew with crusty bread or biscuits.