Garnish this flavorful soup with a drizzling of extra virgin olive oil or, better yet, chili or garlic infused olive oil. It would also be great with flavored croutons, fresh chopped chives, a little diced cooked bacon, or a swirl of sour cream or roasted red pepper puree.
This soup makes between 2 1/2 and 3 quarts, enough for about 10 1-cup servings. It's perfect for a dinner party soup course, or serve with sandwiches for a fabulous lunch.
Yield: Makes About 10 1-Cup Servings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 large head of cauliflower, broken into small flowerets, about 6 to 8 cups of flowerets
- 3 medium yellow or gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 4 to 6 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup light cream or heavy cream
- 12 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese or a combination of sharp and mild Cheddars
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt, to taste
Stir in the cream, cheese, Worcestershire sauce, nutmeg, cayenne, and pepper. Using a blender, purée the soup in about 4 batches until smooth. You could also use an immersion/handheld blender right in the pan. Return the puréed soup to the stovetop and heat through, adding more chicken broth if a thinner soup is desired. Taste and add salt, as needed.
Garnish the soup with a drizzling of extra virgin olive oil, or a chili or garlic infused olive oil. It would also be delicious with flavored croutons, fresh chopped chives, a little diced cooked bacon, or a swirl of sour cream or roasted red pepper puree.
Makes about 10 1-cup servings.
Similar Soup Recipes
Cauliflower and Cheese Soup
This tasty slow cooker cauliflower soup is made with the addition of carrots, Cheddar cheese, and cream, along with chicken broth and seasonings.
Roasted Cauliflower Soup
This delicious roasted cauliflower soup is spiced with curry powder and flavored with a little lime juice for a pleasant tang. It makes a great lunch soup with ham sandwiches.
Quick Cream of Cauliflower Soup
Frozen cauliflower and cream of potato soup make this caulflower soup extra-easy. Try this recipe when time is limited.