Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 1/4 bunch cilantro, well washed (leaves only)
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 small can of green chilies
- 6 cups chicken stock/broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in a small amount of water
- Corn tortillas (about 10) cut into thin strips
- vegetable oil
- 1-2 cups cooked chicken (2 oz. per serving)
- Monterey Jack cheese (1 oz. per serving)
- 1-2 avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced
Puree cilantro, garlic, onion, chilies, and tomatoes in a blender or food processor. Heat the chicken stock and add pureed mixture, along with the cumin and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 1 hour. Stir cornstarch and water mixture into the soup. Often I don't add the cornstarch since I like a thinner soup.
Fry tortillas in vegetable oil until crisp; drain well. Add chicken to the soup and garnish with shredded cheese, tortilla strips, avocado, sour cream, salsa, or whatever else you prefer.
Shared by SCKOPTI on the forum.
You Might Also Like