This is a delicious creamy mushroom soup with a little cheese and chunks of andouille sausage. Feel free to use another variety of smoked sausage in this recipe.
Here's a large photo
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 to 16 ounces andouille sausage, halved lengthwise then thinly sliced
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, mashed and finely minced
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- dash ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- chives, parsley, or sliced green onion tops, for garnish
In a large pot or Dutch oven, saute the sliced sausage in the oil over medium heat. Transfer sausage to a plate and add mushrooms to the drippings left in the pot. If needed, add a little more oil. Cook, stirring, until mushrooms are tender and lightly browned. Add the green onions and garlic; saute for 1 minute longer. Pour mushroom mixture, with any liquids, into a bowl and set aside. Melt the butter in the same pot. Stir in flour until blended and bubbly. Stir in the broth and cook, stirring, until thickened. Add the cream and cheese, stirring until melted. Add the sausage and mushroom mixture back to the pot. Stir and add nutmeg and pepper. Taste and add salt, as needed. Heat through.
Serve with more green onion, snipped chives, or chopped parsley for garnish.
Soup and Stew Recipes
Crockpot Soup Recipes
Crockpot Stew Recipes