Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms
- 4 Bacon slices diced
- 1/2 cup minced onion, or use part green onion
- 2 tablespoons Minced fresh green pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Pepper
- 3 ounces Cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs, plain
- 1/4 cup Hot water
Fry bacon in a heavy skillet. Remove with a slotted spoon and set on paper towels to drain. In bacon drippings, saute onion, green pepper, and chopped mushroom stems until tender; drain. Add salt and pepper.
Soften cream cheese; blend in cooked bacon and vegetables. Press mixture firmly into mushroom caps, mounding a bit. Place bread crumbs in a small bowl. Turn filled mushroom caps upside down and press gently in the bread crumbs to coat tops. Place in a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking dish. Add hot water to pan and bake, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes at 325 degrees.
Makes about 2 1/2 dozen stuffed mushrooms.