- 8 cups white bread cubes
- 1/2 pound pork breakfast sausage, mild
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2/3 to 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large tart apple, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and saute for 5 minutes, just until tender. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up and stirring, until no longer pink. Drain.
In a large bowl combine the sausage mixture with bread cubes and seasonings. Stir in 2/3 cup of the chicken broth, adding a little more if needed to make the mixture moist but not mushy. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add the chopped apple and beaten egg.
Spread in the prepared pan and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and brown lightly under the broiler.