This home-style cornbread recipe is made with fresh cornbread crumbs and optional diced chicken.
Yield: Serves 10 to 12
- 6 cups crumbled cornbread
- 3 cups soft bread crumbs
- 4 ounces butter
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 3 to 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chicken, diced, optional
- 1 heaping tablespoon dried sage, crumbled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried leaf thyme, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
Heat oven to 400ºF.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornbread and white bread crumbs.
In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté the onion and celery in butter until tender. Do not brown.
Combine the sautéed vegetables with the bread mixture. Stir in chicken broth, using enough to moisten. Stir in the diced chicken, if using, and the seasonings and beaten eggs, blending well.
Spread the mixture in a large shallow baking or roasting pan measuring about 10" x 15".
Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
Miss Bettie's Cornbread Dressing
Sausage and Apple Stuffing
Baked Apple-Pecan Dressing
Southern Cornbread and Oyster Dressing