- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cups crumbled cornbread
- 3 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 pint shucked oysters, drained, reserve 1/2 cup liquid
Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Sauté onions and celery in the butter until tender, not browned.
Combine cornbread and bread crumbs in a large bowl; mix in sautéed onions, salt, pepper, and parsley.
Add beaten eggs and toss more; moisten with the oyster liquid until moist but not soggy. Gently stir in the oysters.
Pat the mixture into a large lightly buttered rectangular baking pan (it should make a 1-inch layer in the pan). Dot with remaining butter and bake about 45 minutes, until golden brown and set in the center.