Add more vegetables if you like, or add some diced chicken if you cook a hen for the broth.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 5 cups torn cornbread crumbs
- 4 cups torn plain bread crumbs
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons dried crumbled sage
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Heat oven to 400°. Butter a 9x13-inch baking pan. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornbread and bread crumbs. In a small skillet over medium-low heat, melt butter; add celery and onion; saute until tender. Combine vegetable mixture with crumbs; stir in chicken broth. Stir in the beaten egg, herbs and seasonings.
Spread in prepared baking pan. Bake for about 30 minutes.
Serves 6 to 8.
Basic Bread Stuffing
Easy Crockpot Cornbread Dressing