- 2 pans (8 to 9-inch size) cornbread, homemade or use cornbread mix
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 4 ounces butter
- turkey giblets, optional
- 2 slices white bread
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 6 canned tamales, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash ground cayenne pepper, or to taste
Put giblets in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until tender. Chop liver; add to cornbread mixture along with 1/4 cup of the stock. Reserve remaining giblets for gravy. If you don't use giblets, add about 1/4 cup more broth or bouillon to the dressing.
Soak bread in the chicken broth, then stir into cornbread mixture. Add remaining ingredients; mixed thoroughly. Spoon into a greased 2-quart casserole. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes.