- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces ground pork sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 package (16 ounces) seasoned cornbread dressing crumbs
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage, optional
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
In a large skillet melt butter and add sausage, cooking and breaking up, until sausage is lightly browned. Add onion and celery and continue cooking until vegetables are tender. Add parsley poultry seasoning, and sage, if using.
In a large bowl, combine the sausage and vegetable mixture with the crumbs. Stir until blended; add chicken broth. Add salt and pepper to taste and blend well. Blend in the lightly beaten egg and stir in the cranberries or raisins. Spoon into the prepared slow cooker; do not pack. Cover and cook on HIGH for 45 minutes. Reduce heat to LOW and cook for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours longer.