Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 pound mild or sage breakfast sausage
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups chopped celery
- 10 cups cubed French bread or white bread
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried leaf sage, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- dash freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage, breaking up and stirring frequently, until sausage is no longer pink. Remove to paper towels to drain. Wipe out the skillet and melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, about 5 to 7 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl, toss the bread cubes with the herbs and seasonings. Add the vegetables with the butter and the drained sausage. Stir in chicken broth until well moistened, but not mushy. Pack gently into the prepared baking dish and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and broil for about 3 to 4 minutes, or just until browned on top.
Serves 10 to 12.