Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 pan baked cornbread, crumbled
- 6 slices bread, torn into small pieces
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped apple
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh finely chopped sage or 2 teaspoons dried rubbed sage, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth
Heat oven to 375°. Grease and flour a 9x13-inch baking dish.
In a large skillet, brown the sausage. Remove the sausage and set aside. Add butter to the skillet and cook the apple, onion, and celery until softened. Add the green onion and cook for 1 minute longer. Stir the mixture into the bread and herb mixture. Add 1 1/2 cups chicken broth and gently stir. Add more chicken broth, as needed, to make a moist -- not mushy -- mixture.
Cover tightly with foil and bake for about 30 to 40 minutes.
Serves 8 to 10.