Fill these classic sugar cookies with a chocolate ganache, jam, or with dulce de leche. Use mini cookie cutters to decorate the top of each cookie according to the season or holiday.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: Makes About 2 Dozen
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 11 1/4 ounces
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- chocolate ganache, jam, icing, or dulce de leche, for filling
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Mix on low speed to blend ingredients. Add the butter pieces and mix on low speed until the mixture resembles crumbs. Turn the mixer up to medium-low and beat for about 2 minutes longer, or until the mixture begins to clump. Add the egg yolks and vanilla. Beat on medium-low until the mixture comes together to form a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface; gather into a ball and knead a few times. Shape into two disks, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll a disk out between 2 sheets of wax paper or parchment paper to about 1/8 inch thickness. If the dough is too cold and cracks, let it stand at room temperature for a few more minutes. Take care that the dough does not stick to the paper. Flour lightly and change the paper once or twice, if necessary.
- Cut the dough out with round cookie cutters and arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Repeat with the second disk, but cut a small circle or design out of the middle of each round with a mini cookie cutter. Preheat the oven to 375° F. Chill the cut out cookies for 15 to 20 minutes, while the oven is preheating.
- Bake for 9 to 12 minutes, until edges just begin to brown. Cool on a rack.
- Spread the solid cookie bottoms with a thick chocolate ganache, dulce de leche, buttercream type of frosting, or jam. Top with a cookie with a cut-out in the center.
- Makes about 2 dozen filled cookies.
You Might Also Like
These cookies the perfect combination of crisp edge and chewy center.
These delicious peanut butter cookies make a welcome treat for any occasion. The cookie dough is chilled then shaped and baked to perfection.
These all-butter sugar cookies are formed into balls then sugared and flattened with the bottom of a glass or cup.
These great tasting sugar cookies are topped with a simple royal icing. Decorate these cookies for the season or a holiday.