Large Photo: Sweet Potato Bread Pudding
- 5 1/2 to 6 cups torn croissant crumbs, about 8 ounces
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 cup pitted and chopped dates
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half or light cream, or 1 cup heavy cream and 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
In a large bowl toss the croissant crumbs with pecans, dates, melted butter, and spices.
In another bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, and brown sugar; add vanilla and blend in the sweet potatoes. Pour the sweet potato mixture over the bread crumbs and stir until well blended. Let stand for about 10 minutes. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until set. Serves 8 to 10.