Yield: Serves 6
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in 1- to 2-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup light cream or half-and-half
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Put sweet potato cubes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes, until tender.
Drain well and mash with the butter, cream, and brown sugar until smooth. Add the salt, peppers, cinnamon, and lemon juice and mix well.