Dessert is one of the most important parts of a complete Thanksgiving meal, and a great pie is essential.
Here are some of our personal favorites and many of the most popular pie recipes, and all of them would make great Thanksgiving pies. Choose from fruit pies, cream pies, wonderful spiced pumpkin and squash pies, pecan pies, and more. Scroll down the page for some helpful pie-making tips, including tips for making the perfect pie crust.
- Pumpkin Pie with Graham Cracker Crumble A crunchy, buttery graham cracker crumble creates a topping for this great tasting pumpkin pie, or sprinkle it over individual servings.
Sweet Potato Pie with Cream Cheese Pastry
The cream cheese pastry for this delicious sweet potato pie is easy to mix and makes a fabulous pie. You could use an all-butter crust or a purchased crust for this pie as well.
Apple Pie with Buttermilk Pastry
Buttermilk and a little lard or shortening with the butter make this pie flaky and delicious. The exquisite apple filling includes brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and corn syrup.
Autumn Pumpkin Pie
This wonderful spiced pumpkin pie is a must for the Thanksgiving table. It's a classic pumpkin pie and can be made with fresh or canned pumpkin puree. Top this pie with a big dollop of whipped cream or light whipped topping.
Pear Pie With Lattice Crust
This beautiful pear pie is perfectly flavored and spiced with a touch of cinnamon and a little lemon. The lattice crust makes it extra-special.
Old Time Apple Pie
This old-fashioned apple pie is classic double crust apple pie with a little lemon, brown sugar, and spices. It's the perfect pie for apple pie lovers!
Butternut Squash Pie
You can't go wrong with this delicious squash pie. The butternut squash makes a wonderful spiced filling. Serve with sweetened whipped cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon.
No-Bake Pumpkin Butter Pie
Use a homemade or purchased graham cracker crust to make this easy no-bake pie. It's made with purchased pumpkin butter, cream cheese, brown sugar, whipped topping, and spices. Top this quick and easy pumpkin pie off with a dollop of whipped topping and cinnamon.
This delicious custard pie is sprinkled with nutmeg. It gets extra richness and flavor from buttermilk. Top this pie off with a big dollop of whipped cream or light whipped topping.
Southern Pecan Pie
This classic pecan pie is made with corn syrup, butter, and vanilla, along with lots of pecan halves.
Pumpkin Pie With Spiced Oat Crust
An easy oat, brown sugar, and pecan crust make this pumpkin pie stand out from the crowd. Top with whipped cream and spiced pecans or a drizzling of caramel sauce.
Apple Crisp Pie
This apple pie is baked with a buttery streusel topping of oats, flour, and chopped pecans. It's a delicious apple crisp in a crust!
Sour Cream Peach Pie
Sour cream adds a rich flavor and tang to this fabulous crumb-topped peach pie.
Sweet Potato Pie
This sweet potato pie is topped with a buttery pecan mixture. Use brandy, bourbon, or orange juice to flavor this sweet potato pie filling.
Classic Pumpkin Pecan Pie
This pie gives you the very best of both worlds! The fabulous spiced pumpkin filling is topped with a delicious pecan pie topping.
Lemon Meringue Pie
For the lemon lovers, here's a delicious homemade lemon meringue pie. This is a great dessert choice for any special meal.
Aunt Irene's Graham Cracker Pie
My Aunt Irene made the best cream pies, and this one is just like her delicious graham cracker pie. Even people who aren't fond of pies will love this one!
Pumpkin Pie With Pecan Streusel
A buttery, crumbly brown sugar and pecan topping makes this pumpkin pie extra special. Serve this pie with lightly sweetened whipped cream for a real treat.
Apple Sour Cream Pie Recipe
This great apple pie is filled with a chopped apple and sour cream mixture and topped with a wonderful buttery crumb topping.
Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie
This rich and delicious pumpkin pie is baked in a simple graham cracker pie crust. Serve this great pie with whipped cream or a light whipped topping.
Apple Crumble Pie
A pecan and crumb mixture top this wonderful apple pie. Serve this great pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzling of caramel sauce for a special dessert that's sure to please.
Pie Crust Recipes
Tips for Making Great Pies
- For best results, keep all ingredients in the refrigerator before mixing the dough, and have the water and fat ice cold.
- Handle pie pastry as little as possible with your hands. The best mixing is done with knives or a pastry blender, or --- with care not to overmix -- the food processor. The pastry should have some pea-sized pieces of fat, making the pockets of flakiness we all love so much.
- A little sugar sweetens the pastry a bit and tenderizes slightly.
- Use either pastry flour or all purpose flour for the best results. High gluten flour like bread flour makes a tougher crust and cake flour is too soft.
- Try substituting ice cold sour cream or heavy cream for the water in your basic pie pastry recipe.
- For many pies, a spiced dough might make perfect sense. Try a little cinnamon or nutmeg in with the flour.
- After you fit the pastry into the pie pan, sprinkle with finely chopped nuts and gently press them into the dough before baking or filling.
- For easier rolling, chill the dough for 20 to 30 minutes.