This okra and tomato combination is cooked in bacon drippings with onion, garlic, and corn. This is a great way to enjoy fresh okra, corn, and tomatoes.
- 3 cups cold water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups fresh sliced okra
- 2 to 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped, about 3/4 cup
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups sliced okra
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels or frozen thawed corn kernels
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- water, chicken broth, or vegetable broth, as needed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Combine water and lemon juice in a large bowl. Add sliced okra and let soak for about 30 minutes. In a large heavy skillet, heat bacon drippings over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic until tender. Add okra and continue cooking, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Add the fresh or thawed corn and chopped tomatoes and reduce to medium-low; cook for 10 to 15 minutes longer, stirring frequently. If vegetables begin to stick, add a little water or broth. Reduce heat to lowest setting, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes longer.
4 to 6 servings.