Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- 8 ounces pasta wheels or mini wheels
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) mild Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- grating of nutmeg
- grating of black pepper
- 3 cups leftover turkey, cut in chunks
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Cook pasta following package directions; drain, rinse with hot water, and set aside.
In a large saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and green onions and saute until mushrooms are tender. Stir in floru until well blended. Add the milk, stirring constantly and cook, stirring, until thickened. Add 1 1/4 cups of the Cheddar cheese and 3/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, along with the salt, to taste, nutmeg, and pepper. Stir in turkey. Spoon into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses over the pasta mixture.
Combine bread crumbs with melted butter until the crumbs are well moistened. Sprinkle crumbs over the casserole.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until topping is lightly browned and casserole is bubbly.