- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions, about 4 to 5 medium onions
- 4 cans condensed beef broth (10 1/2 ounces each)
- 4 slices French bread, 1 inch thick
- 4 tablespoons shredded Gruyere cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
In a large skillet over medium low heat, melt butter. Saute onion until golden in color, about 8 minutes. In a medium saucepan, combine beef broth and sautéed onion; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes. Meanwhile, toast French bread on both sides under broiler; sprinkle each slice evenly with cheeses; broil just until cheese is bubbly. Pour French onion soup into 4 individual soup bowls; float a slice of toasted French bread, cheese side up, on each bowl of French onion soup.
French onion soup serves 4.