Take a look at the large photo of this roast turkey.
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours
- 1 turkey, about 14 pounds
- 3 to 4 tablespoons mixed chopped herbs, such as chives, dill, tarragon, rosemary, thyme, and marjoram
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 orange, cut in 2-inch pieces
- 1 apple, cut in 2-inch pieces
- 1 onion, quartered
- sprigs of fresh herbs
Rinse the turkey inside and out; pat dry. Combine the chopped herbs with olive oil. Gently separate the skin from the breast and rub a few tablespoons of the herb mixture under the skin as far back as you can reach. Rub the remaining mixture all over the bird. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Put orange, apple, onion chunks, and herb sprigs in the stuffing cavity. Cover wing tips with small pieces of foil. Roast for 10 minutes. Tent foil loosely over the top of the turkey and reduce heat to 325° and continue roasting for about 3 1/2 hours longer, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 165°.