Here's yet another way to enjoy this prolific vegetable, and it makes a fabulous side dish to just about any main dish.
- 4 to 6 small zucchini squash, about 1 1/2 pounds
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- dash Cajun seasoning, optional
- 1 cup chicken broth
- juice of 1 lemon, about 2 to 3 tablespoons
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
Cut zucchini into sticks or slices. Quarter and slice the onion. Combine the prepared zucchini and onion, garlic, basil, Cajun seasoning, chicken broth, and lemon juice in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, or until just tender. Add tomatoes and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper, as desired.
Serves 4 to 6.
Zucchini and Tomatoes With Cheese
Zucchini with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon
Baked Stuffed Zucchini