- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes with juice
- Red, yellow, and green bell pepper, cut in 1-inch pieces, about 1 to 1 1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil, about 12 large leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash dried leaf oregano
- 3 small zucchini, halved lengthwise then sliced
- Fresh shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté until onion is tender. Add the tomatoes, bell peppers, basil, pepper, and oregano. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add zucchini and eggplant; cover and continue simmering for 10 to 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Taste and add salt, if needed. Serve with fresh shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Serves 4 to 6.