- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs (Japanese-style bread crumbs)
- 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs, unseasoned
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1 cup fresh shredded Parmesan cheese, about 4 ounces
- 1 scant teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ***Sweet Pepper Dip***
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sweet pepper relish
Combine the panko and fine bread crumbs in a food processor or blender with the basil, cheese, and salt. Pulse 6 to 8 times to combine; pour into a large plate. Beat eggs in a small bowl. Add about 1/3 of the zucchini slices to the beaten eggs, then coat, one at a time, in the bread crumb mixture. Put on a plate and repeat with remaining zucchini slices.
Meanwhile heat oil in a deep fryer to 360°. Fry zucchini in small batches until golden brown. This will take about 1 to 2 minutes for each batch. Using a slotted metal spoon, remove the cooked zucchini to paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining zucchini. Sprinkle lightly with salt and serve with Sweet Pepper Dip or your favorite.
Sweet Pepper Dip: Combine 1/3 cup mayonnaise with 2 to 3 tablespoons of sweet pepper relish.